Become a Beta Reader!
- RO Raneth Bayre sighted in Tricolq City with Dagger Bearer Aldora Leoma! Could this be a date or a joint assignment?
- King Cray has announced that despite crime's rising levels, he is, "confident that our royal officials and royal detectives can keep up with serving the 3 Ks."
- Prince Pedibastet has warned all Giften Cats to avoid crows, "one tried to peck my eyes out yesterday. It was awful. Naturally, being the superior cat that I am, I pounced on it, broke it's wing and then had the royal cook serve it for dinner. Cray was not impressed."
- Dagger Bearer Aldora Leoma to visit Braintye!
- Explosion in Green City's Leaf Industrial Estate - cause so far unknown. Royal Detectives are at the scene.
- For more news, click join.
There’s a lot that goes into putting a story out on virtual and physical bookshelves, and I love that bit almost as much as I do terrorising the characters in the stories and plotting against them. It doesn’t matter how much work I do to prepare a story to be shared. There’s two ways it can go: the book can either suck or be enjoyed. To me, it doesn’t matter how popular it is – that’s not something that lasts. What matters is that those who pick up the books or download them, in part or in full, enjoy them.
There’s a way for you to help each story you’re interested in, whilst getting a free book and being super super important to its success. You can be a part of what we – you guys and I – are doing more than you are now. It’s to become a beta reader.
As a beta or test reader, you’ll get advanced copies (by email usually, as ebook files or a PDF) of a book at the later end of its production cycle. Probably before our awesome editor gets her lovely hands on it! Your assignment as a beta reader (Cray would be so proud) is to give feedback. You can do this by chapter or for the whole thing. Chapters might be easier for us all involved, but it’s totally up to you which way you do it.
To help, I have written a few questions I’d love for you to answer in your feedback, but don’t just stick to the feedback – tell me what you think I need to know to make the story better. Am I bullying the characters too much? Let me know! Did Raneth’s trousers somehow change design halfway through the book? Let me know! Did Aldora act too kick-ass for a villager who is still learning to be confident and self-reliant? Let me know! Help make a better story!
If you’re interested in becoming a beta reader, please get in touch and consider subscribing to my email newsletter – which will give out the call for beta readers each time a book is ready for you to give feedback on! All beta readers will be thanked in the book(s) they helped!
If you’re already beta reading something and want some help to give useful feedback (“it’s good” or, “it’s rubbish” needs more explanation to be useful), here are some handy questions to get you started…
At which (if any) point did you put the story down to do things like check your text messages, browse Facebook, read a blog post and so on?
Which character do you like or hate right now? Why?
Which scene is your favourite? Why?
Which scene bored you, or made you skip bits? Any idea why?
At any point, does a character do something you feel is not like them/out of character? Why?
Thank you to all the beta readers! You guys are AWESOME!
© 2017 Drae Box